In order to utilize the uKnowKids with Apple iTunes features, you must...
- install the uKnowKids Relay software application on a local PC or Mac computer,
- pair the uKnowKids Relay software application with the uKnowKids' systems, and
- authorize the uKnowKids Relay software application to access your child's mobile device backup file.
The following instructions will help you to quickly do this.
I. Install the uKnowKids Relay software application on a local PC or Mac computer:
- Download the appropriate uKnowkids Relay App (Mac or Windows)
Here is the link to the uKnowkids Relay App - Mac version...
Here is the link to the uKnowkids Relay App - PC version...
- Install and follow the on-screen instructions to setup. When you open the app you will click on the I Agree button once you agree to the agreement.
II. Pair the uKnowKids Relay software application with the uKnowKids' systems
- Launch the uKnowKids Relay app application on your local computer.
- Locate and Right Click on the uKnowKids Relay app icon in the computers system tray. Windows machines have this is the lower right corner near the clock. Apple machines will have a different looking icon but it will be in the system tray near the clock in the upper portion of the screen.
Windows 10 Apple
- Left click on the second option down "Pairing".
- After you click on Start Pairing you should see a 6 digit code. Click on the the button to copy this code.
- Go to the https://www.uknowkids.com and log into the uKnowKids Dashboard.
- Create a new Child Profile for your child by clicking on the "+" icon.
- Enter your child's information, and the choose the type of mobile device you would like to monitor. In this case, you should choose the "Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod" option.
- On the Apple screen, choose the "Apple iTunes (RECOMMENDED METHOD)" option.
- The next screen details what you will need to complete the remainder of the Child Setup Process. You should have already completed these steps above in I and II. Therefore, you can click on the "I Am Ready" button.
- Take the Pairing Code provided to you in Step #4 above, and paste it here in the "Pairing Code" field of the Child Setup Process.
- Finally, choose the Apple mobile device that you would like to monitor, and then click the "Continue" button.
- Now you can simply "Continue" through the process until you see the option for a "Product Tour" or to "Go To My Child's Launchpad". Please select the"Go To My Child's Launchpad" button.
III. Authorize the uKnowKids Relay software application to access your child's mobile device backup file
- Go back to the uKnowKids Relay software application to authorize the application's access to your child's backup file and data.
In other words, we simply need to "Allow" the relay of data from your computer to our servers. Locate and Right Click on the uKnowKids Relay application icon in the computer's system tray. This time, you are going to select the "Permissions" option.
You should see a box similar to the one below. You will select "Allow" or slide the bar to green for the "Allow" option for the device.
Please note that there can be a delay of 20-60 minutes for the "Allow" option to appear.
- If you notice your child's phone has not been backed up in a while, or you have received a "missing backup" notification from uKnowKids, you can manually back up your child's iOS device by doing the following:
- Plug your child's iOS device into the host computer
- Open iTunes
- Go to the Device Summary page for your child's iOS device
- Click the Back Up Now button
You are now done with the uKnowKids Relay installation and pairing process.
IMPORTANT: If you see the following "not enough free space" error message when backing up to iTunes, please do the following:
- Quit the uKnowKids desktop application (click the "cog" icon near the time/date on your computer and select Exit or Quit uKnowKids).
- In iTunes, please take a new backup and wait until it completes.
- Re-launch the uKnowKids desktop app and allow the backup to upload to uKnowKids. A green check mark will appear when finished.
If you need ANY help getting started with uKnowKids in addition to the instructions listed below, please consider one of the following two additional service options:
- Register for a "Get Started with uKnowKids" web training class
We host web training classes throughout the day each and every day (excluding holidays), and we will walk you through everything you need to know about getting started with uKnowKids.
- Request a Setup Assistance phone call with a member of the uKnowKids support team
You can simply schedule a day and time for our team to call you, and we will spend 15-30 minutes with you helping you get started with uKnowKids.