First Step is to make sure your computer, your child's IOS mobile device and iTunes are all current and up date.
Second step is make sure the device will be backed up on a regular basis. Remember you won't get new data with a new backup! Please Note the initial download could take over an hour to complete.
I. Configure iTunes for uKnowKids Relay App:
- Connect the iOS device to the computer (please use the appropriate USB cable)
- Open iTunes on the computer if it doesn't open automatically.
Please go to https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ if you need to install iTunes for your PC.
- Click the device at the top if iTunes doesn't automatically open to the device summary
- Under the Backups section of the device summary, choose This computer to back the device to the local computer and ensure the Encrypt local backup (the language may change depending on the device. e.g. "Encrypt iPhone backup") checkbox is left unchecked. Click Back Up Now to make sure the device does have the most current data available in iTunes.
- Under the Options section, check Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi. Please note that if you have issues getting a current backup try connecting the child's device direct to the host computer.
- Click the Apply button in the bottom right to save the settings.
- Click Done
Please Note: uKnowKids will only get new data once the device puts the data into iTunes. This is done by doing a backup as described above. Some devices may not be able to backup via WiFi on a consistent and reliable basis. We always recommend plugging in the phone to the host computer for regular backups if you have any issues with the backup into iTunes.
II. Install the uKnowKids Relay application on the computer the device will be connected:
- Download the appropriate uKnowkids Relay App (Mac/Windows)
Here is the link to the uKnowkids Relay App - Mac version...
Here is the link to the uKnowkids Relay App - PC version...
- Install and follow the on-screen instructions to setup. When you open the app you will click on the I Agree button once you agree to the agreement.
3. Launch the uKnowKids Relay app application.
4. Locate and Right Click on the uKnowKids Relay app icon in the computers system tray. Windows machines have this is the lower right corner near the clock. Apple machines will have a different looking icon but it will be in the system tray near the clock in the upper portion of the screen.
Windows 10 Apple
5. Left click on the second option down "Pairing".
6. After you click on Start Pairing you should see a 6 digit code. Click on the the button to copy this code.
1. After logging in and selecting the appropriate child please go the dashboard and look for the “Cog” button in the upper right corner. It is to the right of your child’s name and in the far upper right corner of window.
2. Please click on the cog and then on Data Connections. A new white window should appear for you. In the window make sure that you are on the iCloud tab that is in the upper left corner of the white window. Please select the radio button for ITunes Apple data profile. You will then fill in the child’s iTunes information and enter the pairing code from above and click on button in the bottom left titled iCloud login.
Once you select the device you will hit Continue until you reach the box with an option to take a Product Tour or to go to my child's launcpad. Please select to go to my child's launchpad.
uKnowKids Relay app Allow
Now that we have done the bulk of the setup we simply need to Allow the Relay of data from your computer to our servers. Locate and Right Click on the uKnowKids Relay app icon in the computers system tray. This time you are going to select permissions. You should see a box similiar to the one below. You will select Allow or slide the bar to the Allow option for the device.
Please note there can be a delay of 20 minutes to an hour for the option to allow.
If you notice your child's phone has not been backed up in a while, or you have received a "missing backup" notification from UKowKids, you can manually back up their iOS device by doing the following:
- Plug your child's iOS device into the host computer
- Open iTunes
- Go to the Device Summary page for your child's iOS device
- Click the Back Up Now button
IMPORTANT: If you see the following " not enough free space" error message when backing up to iTunes, please do the following:
- Quit the uKnowKids desktop application (click the dog icon near the time/date on your computer and select Exit or Quit uKnowKids).
- In iTunes, please take a new backup and wait until it completes.
- Re-launch the uKnowKids desktop app and allow the backup to upload to uKnowKids. A green check mark will appear when finished.
If you need ANY help getting started with uKnowKids in addition to the instructions listed below, please consider one of the following two additional service options:
- Register for a "Get Started with uKnowKids" web training class
We host web training classes throughout the day each and every day (excluding holidays), and we will walk you through everything you need to know about getting started with uKnowKids.
- Request a Setup Assistance phone call with a member of the uKnowKids support team
You can simply schedule a day and time for our team to call you, and we will spend 15-30 minutes with you helping you get started with uKnowKids.